I am seeking work related to Cuba, a long term interest of mine. I’ve recently (re)retired from IBM where I was an Enterprise Architect, so I’m quite flexible as to duration, location, and type of work. I’ve lived and traveled extensively in Latin America, including four trips to Cuba and I speak fluent Spanish. I want to participate in the exciting, accelerating changes now taking place in that amazing nation. I have solid experience in the financial, telecommunications, and technology sectors and am also interested in areas like trade, tourism, and agriculture.
I can contribute to projects that involve market research, logistics, understanding Cuban/US regulations and processes, writing, translating, product evaluation, RFP preparation, project management, QA coordination, technology support (software, systems), training, and communication with Cuban counterparts.
- Technology – Twenty five years working in software and enterprise systems. Experienced as enterprise architect, analyst, developer, team leader, project manager, social media consultant, and entrepreneur.
- Economics and Development – Social Worker, Peace Corps Volunteer, microfinance translator, owner of import business, investment advisor. Worked for Bank of America, JP Morgan, Merrill Lynch, American Express, etc.
- Teaching – Taught ESL in Trujillo, Peru and Barcelona, Spain. TESL Certified. Taught Computer Science at Holyoke Community College. Teaching Assistant for Computer Science at U. Mass.
- Independent thinker. Self reliant but enjoy working in team environment. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills. Fluent Spanish.
- MS Computer Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA.
- MA Economics, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, Focus on development economics/Latin America.
- BA Economics and Political Science with honors, Tufts University, Medford, MA
- Tufts University and University of Massachusetts, 21 Spanish related credits
IBM, Hartford CT, Enterprise Architect (March to May 2015)
- Returned to previous position (via short term contract with Artech Systems) assigned to the Hartford Financial Group. (see IBM description below)
DFB Tech, Owner Northampton, MA (Jan 2013 – 2014)
- Focused on individual and strategic use of social media applications and platforms including mobile.
- Working with local businesses to establish web presence creating the capability to extend and maintain web visibility using various social media platforms.
- Experienced with an expanding collection of Social Media platforms including Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. as well as the synergistic interaction of those various platforms.
Self Study and International Travel, retired (2012 -2013)
- Several MIT and Berkeley online courses (MOOCs) including Ruby on Rails, Statistics, Development Economics, and Internet in Latin America.
- Lived for several months in Barcelona, Spain and studied Spanish at Don Quixote Institute
- Studied Ruby on Rails programming environment, achieved certification
- Traveled, biked, and hiked.
Pegasystems, Cambridge, MA, Senior System Architect (Sept 2010 to May 2012)
- Certified as Pegasystems System Architect, Senior System Architect, and Methodology Black Belt.
- Worked on design and implementation of Business Process Management projects for clients, including Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, and American Express, both onsite and remotely.
- Extensively involved with coordination of offshore developers, business analysts, PegaSystems team, client teams, quality assurance team, and middle management.
IBM, Hartford, CT, IT Architect (Aug 2004 to May 2010)
- Solution design – Created designs to insure that new applications used existing enterprise capabilities and conformed to enterprise standards.
- Project coordination – Work closely with the PMs to coordinate tech and business teams for project design and implementation.
- Product and technical evaluations – Research, understand, compare, and document new technology and products before acquisition.
- Resource management – For new projects determine which technology areas would be involved and assign appropriate people to the projects.
Kiva Microfinance, Translator (2008-2010)
- As a member of the volunteer translating team I translated loan application statements from Spanish to English for inclusion on the Kiva website.
- I completed the comprehensive UNCDF Microfinance Distance Learning Course
- I learned a lot about the history and operation of microfinance, and about people around the world using microfinance to improve their lives. I also became more aware of some problems associated with microfinance.
C&S Wholesale Grocers, Brattleboro, VT, Chief Technical Architect (Nov 2002 to August 2004).
- Responsible for creating J2EE Enterprise Architecture for C&S – the 2nd largest distributor of groceries in the US with annual revenues of $15 billion.
- This position entailed everything, from managing team leads to database design, high level architectural diagrams, debugging Java code, and optimizing SQL queries.
Cigna Health Care, Bloomfield, CT, Technical Lead, Oct 2000 – Nov 2002
- Tech lead for components of a large web based application used for creating health plans for Cigna’s customers. Java, Java Script, DB2 environment.
MassMutual Financial Services, Springfield, MA, Senior Technical Consultant, 1998-Oct 2000
- Senior member of Enterprise Architecture Group, providing internal consulting to development projects throughout the company.
- Mentoring to project staff on new technologies.
- Presentations to management on proposed architectures and technology recommendations.
Aetna Retirement Services, Hartford, CT, Developer, 1997
- Member of team developing check disbursement system using Visual Basic and SQL Server.
Motorola Cellular Information Group, Cork, Ireland, Developer, 1996-97
- Team member developing mapping application in Visual Basic and Visual C++ to display components of a mobile phone network on a map and provide management capabilities for the network.
New York Life, Norwood, MA, Consultant, 1996
- Created Visual Basic multimedia application, integrating sound, video, graphics, and data, for presentation of 401K products to corporate clients.
MCI Communications, McLean, VA, Consultant 1995-1997
- Developed video conference reservation system using Visual Basic. Used by MCI to manage world wide corporate video conference network.
Merrill Lynch, Springfield, MA, Advisory Analyst, 1990-1995
- Managed a team developing a large financial services application in Visual Basic and C++.
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, Research Associate Department of Computer Science
- Extended a large FORTRAN software validation system. During second year I was the lead lab instructor for micro/assembler lab.
Paloma Imports, Owner, Hatfield, MA (1980 – 1982)
- Managed all aspects of my wholesale import business specializing in Mexican pottery and other crafts.
- Worked closely with craftspeople in Guadalajara area to develop specific designs and to insure supply. Lived for extended periods in the Guadalajara area.
Peace Corps Volunteer, Central America.
- Economic development of cooperatives. Traveled throughout Central and South America. Learned Spanish.
- I worked with artisanal fishermen, their coop, Nicaraguan government agencies, international agencies (UN, Pan American Foundation, USAID), and Peace Corps Volunteers in other Central American countries
- I carried out studies and projects related to catch, transportation, supply, and demand of fish.
- Adjunct Faculty in Computer Science, Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA (1996-97)
- Teaching assistant while a graduate student at University of Massachusetts, running the microcomputer lab and instructing students.
- Teacher of English as a Second Language in Trujillo, Peru and Barcelona, Spain
- Sun Certified Java Programmer
- IBM Service Oriented Architect (SOA) Certified
- Pegasystems PRPC Senior Systems Architect
- Pegasystems Methodology Black Book Certified
- MIT edX Ruby on Rails Certificate
Bicycling, travel (Spain, Ireland, Latin America), Cuban music, surfing (novice), gym, Yoga, Salsa, Spanish language, reading.
LATIN AMERICA RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Spanish language courses, Tufts University and University of Massachusetts, 21 credits
- Studied Spanish at Don Quijote Institute in Barcelona, Spain
- Course at Smith College, History and Culture of Cuba, 1898 to the Present
- Course at Smith College, Latin America Online (Spanish)
- Recent reading includes 2666 by Roberto Bolaño, Vivir para contarla by Gabriel García Márquez, El sombra del viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and Lopardo al sol by Laura Restrepo.
- More complete reading list at https://danb99.wordpress.com/
- Essays in Spanish at https://danb99.wordpress.com/spanish/
- Twitter @cubaburke
- Trip to Leon, Nicaragua to work with Walking Unidos project, establishing a clinic to provide prosthetic devices to Nicaraguans.
- Several trips to Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Argentina, Cuba, and Costa Rica.
- Several extended trips to Spain and intermittent residence for travel and business
- Periodic travel, work, and residence in Mexico, 1978-1980, self employed as Paloma Imports.
- Massachusetts Department of Social Services, Social Worker working with Hispanic clients
- Kiva Microfinance translator, loan applications from Spanish to English
- Six week trip through Central America and Mexico by motorcycle returning to Boston from Panama City following Peace Corps work,
- Peace Corps Service – Managua and Jinotega, Nicaragua
- Peace Corps Training – 3 months near Arecibo, Puerto Rico. Intensive language training.
- Taught English as Second Language – Trujillo, Peru (3 months), Barcelona (intermittent)
- MA in Economics, Northwestern University, concentration in economics of development
- BA in Political Science, Tufts University, concentration in international relations